1974 quote : ~Perhaps no drug has been more praised or more damned during the past 3 years than diethylstilbestrol (DES, stilbestrol)~
- How can, the exact same drug, be sold and used during the exact same years (1960s and 1970s), for two fundamentally opposite goals : to prevent miscarriage AND as a contraceptive? Should it not be one or the other?
- How can a drug be considered safe, when there are warnings about its toxicity?
- How can a drug be officially (re)approved for usage when its carcinogenic effects are proven and known?
New Generations (People exposed in-Utero)
Pregnancy Outcome in DES Offspring
and Implications for Childbearing
- 2013 Exposure to Diethylstilbestrol during Sensitive Life Stages: A legacy of heritable health effects.
- 2011 Adverse health outcomes in women exposed in utero to diethylstilbestrol.
- 2011 Surgical approach to and reproductive outcome after surgical correction of a T-shaped uterus.
- 2011 Term delivery rate after hysteroscopic metroplasty in patients with recurrent spontaneous abortion and T-shaped, arcuate and septate uterus.
- 2009 Effects of exposure period and dose of diethylstilbestrol on pregnancy in rats.
- 2007 Preeclampsia risk in women exposed in utero to diethylstilbestrol.
- 2005 Early prophylactic cervical cerclage for hypoplastic cervix following exposure to DES in utero.
- 2001 Effects of Mullerian anomalies on in vitro fertilization outcome.
- 2000 Continued follow-up of pregnancy outcomes in diethylstilbestrol-exposed offspring.
- 1999 Effect of diethylstilbestrol on reproductive function.
- 1997 Outcome of IVF in DES-exposed daughters: experience in the 90s.
- 1996 Beneficial effect of hysteroscopic metroplasty on the reproductive outcome in a T-shaped uterus.
- 1996 Endometrial pattern in diethylstilboestrol-exposed women undergoing in-vitro fertilization may be the most significant predictor of pregnancy outcome.
- 1996 Hysteroscopic metroplasty in diethylbestrol-exposed and hypoplastic uterus: a report on 24 cases.
- 1996 Transvaginal ultrasound studies of vascular and morphological changes in uteri exposed to diethylstilbestrol in utero.
- 1995 Effect of diethylstilbestrol or zeranol on fetal development, gestation duration, and number of offspring in NMRI mice.
- 1995 Pregnancy after transposition and repositioning of the ovaries in a patient with clear-cell adenocarcinoma.
- 1992 DES exposure: implications for childbearing.
- 1991 Cervical cerclage in early pregnancy.
- 1991 Refocusing on the gynecological and obstetrical consequences of intrauterine exposure to diethylstilbestrol (DES).
- 1990 Are implantation and pregnancy outcome impaired in diethylstilbestrol-exposed women after in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer?
- 1989 Ultrasound surveillance of the cervix during pregnancy in diethylstilbestrol-exposed offspring.
- 1988 Adverse outcomes of pregnancy in women exposed to diethylstilbestrol in utero.
- 1988 Outcome of pregnancy in patients exposed in utero to diethylstilbestrol. Survey by the National College of French Gynecologists and Obstetricians.
- 1988 Pregnancy after gamete intrafallopian transfer in a woman with primary infertility and in utero exposure to diethylstilbestrol. A case report.
- 1987 Management of the diethylstilbestrol-exposed pregnant patient: a prospective study.
- 1984 Experience with diethylstilbestrol-exposed infertile women in a program of in vitro fertilization.
- 1983 Complications of pregnancy in mice exposed prenatally to DES.
- 1983 Exposure to diethylstilbestrol during intrauterine life. Signs that should suggest this. Therapeutic implications.
- 1983 The clinical management of repeated early pregnancy wastage.
- 1982 Pregnancy Outcome in 98 Women Exposed to Diethylstilbestrol In Utero, Their Mothers, and Unexposed Siblings.
- 1981 Pregnancy outcome in women exposed to diethylstilbestrol in utero.
- 1981 Reproductive and gynecologic surgical experience in diethylstilbestrol-exposed daughters.
- 1981 Reproductive performance of DES-exposed female progeny.
- 1981 Structure and function of the fallopian tubes following exposure to diethylstilbestrol (DES) during gestation.
- 1980 A comparison of pregnancy experience in DES-exposed and DES-unexposed daughters.
- 1980 Placental changes due to administration of diethylstilbestrol (DES).
- 1980 Reproductive Outcome of Women exposed to Diethylstilbestrol In Utero.
- 1980 Reproductive problems in the DES-exposed female.
- 1980 Upper genital tract changes and pregnancy outcome in offspring exposed in utero to diethylstilbestrol.
Direct Usage and Exposure
DES used as an Emergency Contraception
- 1995 Postcoital contraception: present and future options.
- 1994 Emergency contraception: a review.
- 1992 Postcoital contraception underrecognized and underutilized.
- 1985 Post-coital contraception.
- 1983 Postcoital contraception.
- 1978 Physician notes hazards of DES use to prevent pregnancy.
- 1976 Diethylstilbestrol in the Treatment of Rape Victims.
- 1975 Ectopic pregnancy after postcoital diethylstilbestrol.
- 1974 Diethylstilbestrol Usage: Its Interesting Past, Important Present, and Questionable Future – Morning-After Contraception.
- 1974 Oestrogen interception: the morning-after pill.
- 1974 Postcoital contraception with diethylstilbestrol – updated.
- 1973 Diethylstilbestrol as a “morning after” contraceptive.
- 1973 FDA considers DES safe as ‘morning-after’ pill.
- 1973 Letter: The “morning after” pill.
- 1973 Possibility of postconception control of fertility using medicamentous nidation inhibitors.
- 1973 The use of estrogens as postcoital contraceptive agents. Clinical effectiveness and potential mode of action.
- 1972 How Soon Will We Have the “Ideal” Contraceptive?
- 1972 Postcoital antifertility agents.
- 1972 Post-coital Contraception.
- 1972 Post-coital oestrogen in large doses.
- 1971 Postcoital Contraception With Diethylstilbestrol.
- 1971 The “morning-after pill“.
- 1970 Endometrial Carbonic Anhydrase After Diethylstilbestrol as a Postcoital Antifertility Agent.
- 1969 The “morning-after pill“, a preliminary report.
- 1967 Postcoital contraception.
- 1966 Post-coital oral contraception.
- 1965 Ovulation Control with Stilbestrol.
DES (very wrongly) used to “Prevent Pregnancy Complications“
- 2003 Oestrogen supplementation, mainly diethylstilbestrol, for preventing miscarriages and other adverse pregnancy outcomes.
- 1972 Diethylstilbestrol in Pregnancy : Frequency of Exposure and Usage Patterns.
- 1954 The importance of controls in a clinical experiment; stilbestrol therapy in pregnancy.
- 1953 Does the Administration of Diethylstilbestrol during Pregnancy have Therapeutic Value ?.
- 1953 Effect of stilbestrol on pregnancy compared to the effect of a placebo.
- 1952 Diethylstilbestrol tested on pregnant women without their consent, ethical issues of including those women in clinical studies.
- 1951 Use of Diethylstilbestrol in the Treatment of Threatened Abortion.
- 1950 Dosage of Stilbestrol.
- 1949 Diethylstilbestrol dosage in threatened and habitual abortion and premature labor.
- 1949 The influence of diethylstilbestrol on the progress and outcome of pregnancy based on a comparison of treated with untreated primigravidas.
- 1948 Diethylstilbestrol in the prevention and treatment of complications of pregnancy.
- 1942 The Use of Stilbestrol for the Treatment of Threatened and Habitual Abortion and Premature Labor : a Preliminary Report.
- 1941 The Synthetic Estrogen Stilbestrol: an Experimental and Clinical Evaluation.
- 1940 The Action of Diethylstilbestrol in Gynecologycal Dysfunctions.
(Early) Warnings about DES Toxicity
- 1971 Diethylstilbestrol Contraindicated in Pregnancy Selected Item from the FDA Drug Bulletin – November 1971.
- 1941 Experimental studies on the activity and toxicity of stilbestrol.
- 1940 Clinical Studies on Stilbestrol
For different topics, please see Diethylstilbestrol DES Studies.