Alan Turing was obliged to undertake injections of DES intended to render him asexual
“The State which Turing had fought to protect cruelly turned on him in 1952. He was found guilty of gross indecency for homosexual acts avoiding prison by agreeing to a now unthinkable condition of probation: chemical castration. He took Stilboestrol, a pill containing female hormones, but was removed from his government work and felt himself to have been placed under observation. As the holder of State secrets, who was in 1950s attitudes a sexual deviant, he was a dangerous outcast.”
“For the doctors at the Manchester Royal Infirmary who treated Turing, if male hormones increased sexual drive, female hormones might decrease or eliminate it. In fact, the estrogen that they employed did worse than castrate the subject—it could act as a cerebral depressant.”
Alan Turing was a DES victim. He accepted chemical castration with DES as an alternative to prison. He's just been named the Most Iconic Figure of the 20th Century. https://t.co/B8EfdVanM9
— WONDER DRUG Movie (@WonderDrugMovie) February 6, 2019
Selected Press Releases
- Alan Turing is crowned the most iconic figure of the 20th century, dailymail, 6 February 2019.
- Pardon all of the estimated 49,000 men who, like Alan Turing, were convicted of consenting same-sex relations under the British “gross indecency” law (only repealed in 2003), and also all the other men convicted under other UK anti-gay laws, change.org, Feb 10, 2015.
- The Castration of Alan Turing, Britain’s Code-Breaking WWII Hero, thedailybeast, 11.29.14.
- Alan Turings name restored with film about his work, life and identity,
oddonion, November 14, 2014.
- Budget 2014: Alan Turing Institute to lead big data research,
oddonion, March 19, 2014.
- The Imitation Game, based on the real life story of Alan Turing, desdaughter, 2015/02/14.
- Alan Turing granted Royal pardon by the Queen, telegraph, 24 Dec 2013.
- Grant a pardon to Alan Turin, epetitions, Closing:23/11/2012.
- Alan Turing: Inquest’s suicide verdict ‘not supportable’, BBC Radio Science Unit, 26 June 2012.
- ALAN TURING AND HIS MACHINES – FRESH INSIGHTS INTO THE ENIGMA, independent.co.uk, 14 June 2012.
- How Alan Turing Finally Got a Posthumous Apology, radar, September 17, 2009.
- PM apology after Turing petition, BBC News, 11 September 2009.
- Gordon Brown: I’m proud to say sorry to a real war hero, telegraph, 10 Sep 2009.
DES DIETHYLSTILBESTROL RESOURCES
- Source DES and gender identity studies.
- Source DES and psychological health studies.
- Diethylstilbestrol DES studies listed by topics and date of publication.